The community organized food buying co-op had its beginnings late in 2007. Members receive a list of available products every month. They place their order during a brief ordering window and pick up their purchases a few days later.
The December 2009 list of available products runs 44 pages and includes organic and natural beef, free range chicken lamb meat and pastured pork.
Prepard foods including pralines, sweet potato pies, bread pudding, banana nut bread, baked vegetable empanadas, meat loafs, cookies, pestos, brownies, yeast breads, bars, cakes and artisan bread are on the list. Kimchi and organic spelt and gmo free tortillas are sold too. Locally grown vegetables and locally produced soaps, body care products, herbal remedies round out the list.
Membership in the co-op is $42.90 per year and 10% is added to each order to cover co-op expenses. There is no volunteer hour requirement and you can take a look at the ordering list before joining.
You can view the list of producers on their website as well. The co-op welcomes new producers.
Eight reasons to join according to Bountiful Sprout:
- You will gain access to a reasonably priced, wide variety of safe, fresh, frozen, and processed food and non-food products grown and/or produced in Texas.
- You will be able to shop product offerings, such as meat, from multiple producers to compare prices, types, and the production practices used by each producer to find a product that meets your needs.
- You will gain access to foods free from growth hormones, antibiotics, pesticides, herbicides, and genetically modified organisms.
- You will have access to this wonderful line-up of products without ever having to leave your home or community if you choose. Order online and have a bountiful harvest of food delivered to our Wimberley location.
- The secret to great cooking lies in the ingredients. You will have access to fresher, higher quality food through the community than almost anywhere else.
- You will get to know the people who produce your food. There is a story behind every product the cooperative offers.
- You will play an important role alongside farmer producers and other consumers from across the state to increase the awareness, availability, and quality of local food.
- You will be contributing to the economic and social well-being of your state, community, and neighbors by buying products grown and produced in Texas.