Contact us through Facebook or the San Antonio Environmental Meetup for a possible effort to reorganize our group.
Friday, August 20, 2010
Meatless Monday Recipe-Colorful Veggie and Quinoa Salad
This particular recipe, too, can be enjoyed either warm or chilled. I tossed together some of my favorite fruits and veggies, including fresh zucchini, golden beets, red bell peppers, andcherry tomatoes. I added fresh lemon juice, cilantro, and green onions to enhance the natural flavor of the fresh vegetables. This dish is great to share—it’s perfect for picnics and potlucks and for proving to friends and family that vegans can get their protein from a plant!
Colorful Veggie and Quinoa Salad
3/4 cup quinoa
1 1/2 cups water
1 golden beet
1 red bell pepper
2 Tbsp. olive oil
10 cherry tomatoes
1/2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
Juice from 1 lemon
3 green onions, sliced
• Pour the quinoa into a medium-size sauce pan and add the water. Bring to a boil, then switch to low heat and cover. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until quinoa is fluffy. Set aside.
• Remove the skin of the beet with a knife or potato peeler. Slice into thin rounds, then cut into strips (resembling fries).
• Halve the zucchini, then cut into slices approximately 1/4-inch thick.
• Cut the red bell pepper into strips, then cut the strips into thirds.
• Halve the cherry tomatoes.
• Sauté the beet, zucchini, and bell pepper in olive oil on medium heat until just soft. Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for 1 minute. Set aside.
• Mix the cilantro into the cooked quinoa. Add the lemon juice and stir. Place a scoop of the quinoa mixture onto each plate and cover with the sautéed veggies. Top with the sliced green onions.