Sunday, April 1, 2012

Meatless Monday Recipe-Peas, Carrots, and Tempeh with Miso-Almond Sauce

Peas, Carrots, and Tempeh with Miso-Almond Sauce
Vegan; 30 minutes; Serves 4

So, when I made this recipe, I used what I had on hand and didn't really follow the recipe. It still came out wonderful, I know this since there weren't any left overs the next day. Sorry about being late...... I was volunteering at a pet adoption yesterday. There were 36 pets adopted.

1 cup quinoa (I used bulgur wheat)
3 Tbs. almond butter
2 Tbs. lemon or lime juice (I used the lime-and zested the peel)
1 Tbs. yellow miso (I used soy sauce)
1 Tbs. grated fresh ginger (I zested mine, and used a tad bit more)
1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
1 Tbs. peanut or canola oil (I used canola-organic)
1 8 oz. pkg. plain tempeh, cubed (I used extra firm tofu)
4 carrots, halved and sliced into half-moons (1 3/4 cups) (I used red and orange sweet bell peppers)
1 lb. sugar snap peas (2 1/2 cups) (I used frozen green beans-organic)

1. Bring 2 cups water to boil. Add quinoa, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed. Remove from heat, let stand 5 minutes.

2. Whisk together almond butter, lemon juice (lime juice and zest), miso, ginger, and garlic. Whisk in 1/3 cup water and set aside.

3. Heat wok (I used a regular skillet) over high heat, until water droplets evaporate within 1 second. Add oil and swirl to coat wok. Add tempeh, and stir-fry two minutes. (If using tofu, this step will take longer. I cooked it until it was golden and "firm".) Add carrots and stir-fry 2 minutes. Add sugar snap peas, and stir-fry 1 minute. Remove from heat.

4. Fluff quinoa with a fork, top with vegetables, and drizzle with miso-almond mixture.

Per 2 cup serving: 448 cal.; 24 g prot.; 17 g total fat (2 g sat fat); 0 mg chol.; 256 mg sod.; 13 g fiber; 9 g sugars.

Found (original recipe): Vegetarian Times April/May 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment