Kale Lasagna Diavolo
Vegetarian; 1 hr. 20 min
In honor of MLK day, I'm hoping that most of you will have time to make this dish. My whole family loved it, and left me 2 slices. I made it in an 8x11 glass baking dish. So, I made more then the recipe calls for.
Warm up a winter evening with a spicy lasagna that gets hearty texture from chopped kale. Goat cheese mashed into traditional ricotta gives it flavorful tang.
1 tsp. olive oil, plus more for oiling pan
1 8 oz. bunch kale-stems removed (I ran out of kale, so I added spinach to this mix)
1 15 oz. pkg. fat-free ricotta cheese
4 oz. chevre or soft goat cheese (I used 5 oz. chevre cheese that had black pepper in it)
2 cups prepared tomato puree (I used 1 15oz can diced tomatoes and 1 8 oz. can contadina sauce and pureed it together using my blender-came out to 2 1/2 cups)
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (with the black pepper in the goat cheese, I cut this to 1/4 tsp.)
6 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained or 6 no-cook lasagna noodles (I used 9 noodles)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Coat 8 inch square baking pan with oil.
2. Cook kale in large pot of boiling salted water 2 minutes. Drain, and rinse under cold water until cool enough to handle. Thoroughly wring out kale, then chop. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and set aside. (I did not season.)
3. Mash together ricotta and chevre in bowl, set aside.
4. Heat 1 tsp. oil in small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook 15 seconds, or until fragrant. Add tomato puree and red pepper flakes; simmer 5 minutes, or until thickened.
5. Spread 1/4 cup sauce in prepared baking dish. Place 2 lasagna noodles on top of sauce. Top with half of cheese mixture, half of kale, and 1/3 cup sauce. Top with two more noodles, remaining cheese and remaining kale. Top with remaining lasagna noodles and cover with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake 40 minutes, or until cheese has melted and lasagna is bubbly.
Per 1 cup serving: 183 cal.; 14 grams prot.; 5 grams total fat; 3 grams sat. fat; 21 grams carbs.; 13 mg chol.; 450 mg sod.; 2 grams fiber; 5 grams sugars
Found: Vegetarian Times Jan./Feb. 2011